46, Panepistimiou Str.
The five-level neo-baroque Schliemann-Mela Hall was designed by Ernst Ziller, between 1880 and 1890, towards the formation of an architectural style, consistent with the modern Greek state identity and also with the new image of Athens.
The Schliemann-Mela Hall initially used to host residences, offices and shops, was gradually converted into a building of exclusively commercial and professional use. Some milestones of its history are the schools’ accommodation during the German Occupation, as well as the housing of the second-oldest cinema of Athens, Ideal, on the ground floor since 1919, along with the Ideal restaurant, now closed. As time went on, the building got desolated.
The ΑΒ7: ECLIPSE activates Schliemann-Mela Hall, illuminating various aspects of the building, like the once vivid shops on the ground floor, such as the historic "Aegean Doughnuts" pastry shop, and its dimly lit, decommissioned first two floors.
Photos: Nysos Vasilopoulos